Friday, July 9, 2010

Inadvertent trouble

Joey and Josh are by far my biggest climbers. They have no fear. Ok, well Joshy does until he's comfortable with his surrounds and/or ability then he's fearless. One of their worst things right now is the back yard. We have a 6' privacy fence around all of it except for the deck area. They started to squeeze though the posts on the deck (Bosco was too!) so I used screen and wove it around the posts. That worked just fine until this year. they started to pull the screen off and we used plywood and just nailed it up. No squeezing though a solid piece of plywood! Then, since that was now useless to fight they got really brave. The opposite end of the deck has a bench seat built into it. They climb onto the bench and just climb over the railing using the bench for footing, then the deck floor is the next step then the landscaping is freedom! It's a major PITA and daddy needs to rig something up to put a stop to it...

Today things went really wrong. I went outside and yelled for Joshy to get back inside the yard. He starts climbing up the deck, gets to the bench seat and is screaming, holding on for dear life and trying to protect his face... yelling at the bugs to leave him alone. I take a closer look and he's being swarmed by wasps! I surmise from him that he was stung in or on the eye and it's hurting him unbelievably. I run over to him and with all my adrenaline lift him over and away from the wasps. Yell for Jim to grab Jon and get him into the house as well. I noticed at some point they had a nest above my bedroom window on the soffit.

Now I'm scared. Did they get him in the eye or just on it and even on it, is it dangerous? Do I need to take him into the hospital (it's 6pm) or do I just call the on call pediatrician? I finally get him to let me look and see a mark on the middle of his eyelid and it's starting to swell. Jim got me some ice and a cold wet rag and I get Josh to put that on his eye while I call the pedi. He tells me no need to take him in, nothing they can do that I can't at home. Give him Benedryl for the swelling/reaction, Tylenol or Motrin for the pain and cold compress. He said it will swell up big and fast then go down fast too.

It did swell for sure but not as big as I'd feared it would. He could still open and use his eye thank God! I think he got stung on the forearm as well. He said it hurt and there was a mark there just like the one on his eye but it didn't swell at all. He took his medicine well and held that ice on for a good long while. Now I hope after a good nights sleep he will be good as new in the morning.
That's the worse it got all night. I sure hope it's not swollen shut in the morning or anything!

No comments:

Post a Comment