Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Cracking the whip

I started taking a parenting class a few weeks ago. I saw a flyer for it and called to inquire. It's technically the class one would take when the courts order it so you can keep your kids or get them back. I told the woman why I was wanting to take it and she said it could do me a lot of good so come on in and give it a try!

The reason I wanted to take it was Joshy was  kicking my rear on a daily basis with his bad behavior. It seemed like nothing I did for discipline worked. He would literally come off a time out and go immediately back to what he was put on time out for!

At the first class we had to take an assessment. Wow, what validation I received! The 2nd class, after she'd scored the assessment she told me that I tested better than any other person she's ever tested, even better than her own score (she's like Carol Brady, three hers, three his for a total of 6 in the household). Boy did that make me feel good.

The next class we had to hand in homework, the family rules. I made mine more for the adults to be able to follow. It gives the rule, how many warnings they may or may not receive, the discipline and restitution. She shared it with the class as to how excellent it is (though not kid friendly) to help keep us consistent. I've always said our problem is lack of consistency. While discussing this she told the class that I am a really good parent, I know what I'm doing and what needs to be done. My problem is that I've been inconsistent and I know it. Once I get consistent, things will fall into place. Wow, what a great feeling. I might add that this is a small class and all but one person is there on their own accord for reasons such as my own (wanting to better themselves as parents and/or get ideas on how to handle a situation that is not getting better).

Anyway, last week I was cleaning the house and after I cleaned a huge mess of dirty out of the bathroom (they play in the dirt then get it all over the bathroom when they go to wash their hands/face) they messed it up again with dirt and water all over the floor. They took out all my towels and wash clothes from the cabinet and had them all over the dirty wet floor.

They were made to clean it all up, all three of them and then go on their time outs. I took pictures of my slave labor :)  LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment