Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Raining on the parade

Jonny's birthday but the spotlight is on Joey as usual.

We went out to lunch at Red Robin for Jon's birthday. After lunch it was BEAUTIFUL out so we ran a quick errand to Walgreens then Aldi and home to drop off the stuff then went to the park. Jim and I were sitting at a picnic table keeping track of the boys. A lot of, there's Joey but where is Josh? Ok I see Josh, and there's Jon and Joey..ok. Hey where did Jon go? Jackson was of course in the stroller by us. Well at one point I noticed Joey was laying on the ground by the toddler climbing thing. He was on his belly and moving so I thought he was looking at something on the mat a little more closely. The next thing I know he's coming up to me crying hysterically. He explains that he's hurt. Finally points me to look at his temple. OMG the goose egg he had was outrageous!! It was so purple and distended. I was actually afraid it might burst or something.

We gathered up Josh (kicking and screaming, literally) from the sandbox and Jon and got into the car. We were right by the hospital that had both urgent care for little things or the ER if it's big (needing X-rays or other types of procedures) So I had Jim drop off me, Joey and Jack and take the other boys home and wait for me to call him.

They triaged him and put us in a room with some ice for his head. The doc came in and wanted a CT scan. The transporter came in and Joey was thrilled beyond believe to be rolled on the gurney to the CT scan! LOL

Now this was the fun part..... I'm following Joey with Jackson of course. As I'm entering the CT room the tech is like motioning me to get out. I told him firmly but politely that I'm not leaving my 4yr old. He starts to argue with me that he can't have that baby in here. I said, baby's already had a CT scan, we know how this works, he's fine I'll put him by the door. (the CT emits so little radiation that the only reason they put a lead apron on Jackson for his scan was to make ME feel better!) This guy is going on about the baby not being in there then says to the young kid transporter, you take the baby out to the hall and watch him out there.

I said, Uh, NOPE, not happening.
He said, well I can't have that baby in here!
Ok, well I'll put him in that room with you, that is a lead wall right? He'll be fine back there and with the big window I can see him.

I start rolling him that way and as I'm going I said to him, You do NOT separate a mom from her young children!

So I park the baby by the door out of the way (it was a bigger room than you usually see) and I walk out to be by Joey. The guy goes, ok, but we do have an understanding that when I'm running the test you will not be in here!

Um, NO, I will be right here with my 4yr old. YOU will get me a lead apron to wear!!!!!

Oh man that guy was not happy with me at all but funny thing is he didn't fight me much. No where near as much as I would have expected. I was all prepared to cancel the CT if I had to. What the hell did this guy think, that a 4yr old is going to lay still and not fall off that little table thing just because he's behind a picture window telling him to stay still? OMG!!

Well as I'm sure you can imagine his head was just fine. They sent us home with orders to take Tylenol or Motrin as he might have a headache for a couple days, watch out for signs of head trauma and follow up with the pedi in 3-4 days.

Today his goose egg looks so much better. Wow! That was one scary head injury, the way it swelled and so fast... But that's my Joey, always gotta steal the lime light on other people's special days!!! LOL

Jon had a nice rest of the day, we had his favorite, chicken nuggets and tator tots for dinner and daddy and Joey made him a cake and cup cakes. The boys gave him his gifts from them and we're holding off until the party for our gift to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment